On September 23, 2011, I went to a rave in Manhattan, which is three hours from home and not my norm. A friend of mine told me that she had extra tickets and needed a designated driver, so I went.

After dancing for a few hours, I was exhausted, so I sat down and fanned myself off with a brochure I found on the ground. A young man walked up to me and said, "Excuse me miss, you look hot."

I flashed him a dirty look because men had been acting like pigs all night and it just angered me. He apologized and said "No, I’m sorry. I meant you look sweaty. Are you okay?"

I told him I was fine and ignored him. He complimented me on how pretty my eyes were, and just kept talking to me. Frustrated, I told him, "I don't mean to be rude, but if you're hitting on me, please don't. I'm 85 percent lesbian and I’m not here to hook up."

He asked me "85 percent? Where's the other 15 percent?"

So I told him, "It's reserved for a guy who's going to sweep me off my feet, but since men don't typically do that, I only date women."

He sort of smiled and said, "I can appreciate that." He then asked me to use my phone, telling me his was broken. So I gave it to him. He returned it and his friend came up to us and asked for a picture. He took it and I walked away.

About an hour later, a tall muscular man without a shirt on tried coming onto me in an obscene way. I saw the guy from earlier walking with his friends and told him, my boyfriend wouldn’t appreciate his crudeness.

I walked over to the other guy, grabbed his arm and asked him to pretend to be my boyfriend. He did until the man walked away. Then we said our goodbyes. I left the Gramercy Theater (location of the rave) shortly after to stay at a friend’s house in Manhattan.

The next day I was driving myself and my friend home and I got a text saying "Hey, it's Paul." When I got home I texted him back asking how he got my number. He told me he called his phone from mine and wanted to get to know me better.

We talked for a couple weeks and I realized how sincere he sounded. About a month later, I went back to the city to go on a date with him. Shortly after, we started seeing each other regularly. We moved in together about two months into our relationship and we've been together since.

Together, we moved from upstate N.Y back to the city. I found out I was pregnant and we moved to South Carolina during my pregnancy. Almost three years later, we have a beautiful daughter and we're inseparable. He likes to think he had me from the moment we met.